When Maryam, a hardworking young doctor in a small-town clinic, is prevented from flying to Dubai for a conference without a male guardian’s approval, she seeks help from a politically connected cousin but inadvertently registers as a candidate for the municipal council. Maryam sees the election as a way to fix the muddy road in front of her clinic, but her campaign slowly garners broader appeal.
Official Selection - Sundance Film Festival 2020
Official Selection - Venice International Film Festival 2019
Official Selection - Toronto International Film Festival 2019
“A sly, buoyant social drama...fresh and hopeful.”
"a candid, often wryly amusing glimpse of life inside the Saudi kingdom"
The Washington Post
“Fiery and headstrong...instantly gets you on its side”
“Eye-opening...a feel-good Middle East tale with an irresistible heroine.”
The Hollywood Reporter
"A movie as brave and humble as its heroine.”
– Feature Commentary with director Haifaa Al Mansour
– Making Of Featurette
– Sundance Talk with Haifaa Al Mansour and Bassem Youssef
– Theatrical Trailer
1. Mila Alzahrani in The Perfect Candidate. Courtesy of Music Box Films.
2. Mila Alzahrani in The Perfect Candidate. Courtesy of Music Box Films.
3. Mila Alzahrani, Nourah Al Awad and Dhay in The Perfect Candidate. Courtesy of Music Box Films.
4. Mila Alzahrani and Hamad Almuzainy. Courtesy of Music Box Films.
5. Director Haifaa Al Mansour. Copyright Brigitte Lacombe. Courtesy of Music Box Films.