From the directors of the critically acclaimed The Frankenstein Complex and Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan comes a new documentary about a legendary movie artist. Winner of two Academy Awards for The Return of the Jedi and Jurassic Park, Phil Tippett is a groundbreaking stop-motion animator, designer and filmmaker who has given life to a legion of unforgettable cinematic creatures throughout his career, from iconic characters like Star Wars’ Jabba the Hutt to the giant alien bugs of Starship Troopers. But beyond this amazing Hollywood resume lies an inspired and idiosyncratic artist who spends most of his days feverishly constructing wild creations in his workshop out of anything and everything he can find. With exclusive and unlimited access to the collections and archives of Tippett Studio, Mad Dreams and Monsters explores the unique art and legacy of Phil Tippett, from his work with George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Paul Verhoeven to more personal movies like Prehistoric Beast and Mad God.
1. Phil Tippett. Courtesy of Music Box Films
2. Phil Tippett. Courtesy of Music Box Films
3. Jon Berg, Dennis Muren, and Phil Tippett on the set of STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS. Courtesy of Music Box Films.
4. Paul Verhoeven. Courtesy of Music Box Films
5. A scene from Phil Tippett’s 1985 short film PREHISTORIC BEASTS. Courtesy of Music Box Films
6. A selection of Phil Tippet’s dinosaurs. Courtesy of Music Box Films
7. Phil Tippet’s career in notebooks. Courtesy of Music Box Films